Thursday, 1 August 2013
We get hypothermia
Wednesday...day 6... :D
Hello everybody! Lottie and Catherine here writing to you about (in our opinion) the best day we have had so far.
Well...once again we apologise for how late this post is, our non stop schedule and lack of Wifi have made keeping you up to date difficult (plus we like to keep you on your toes, otherwise you just wouldn't appreciate how much you miss us).
Wednesday started bright and early with a brand new school, they weren't expecting us but due to the miserable weather (rain and fog!), we had to visit a school who's journey was traversable (Lottie doesn't know the meaning of this...). After the head teacher rounded up some 300 local kids and others were drawn in, by the sound of our musical talents, some even came from their classes, lessons began!
Our 3 hours with the children resulted, not only in their learning, but also in ours. Personally, we (Catherine and Lottie) learned "gwapaneka" a 'fist pumping' greeting for the cool kids (a group we of course belong to). As a group we also learned a new song called "Like I do, like I do!" - a far more musical version of Simon says.
A vital detail which we have hitherto left out is that our truck (Terrance) was feeling unwell and so remained in bed whilst we travelled in far more comfortable style (the boots of land rovers!)
After our day at school we picked up our skirts from the tailors (most of which fit) by journeying through the narrow, local market, which was a very exhilarating experience, and scary (says Lottie).
Our journey back to Fisherman's Rest was again in car boots; one of which closely resembled a cage. Banas (one of our translators/helpers/newfound friends) cut his head on the door and we spent dinner applying first aid (through the very able Kirsty). Banas and Blessings (Mphotso in Chacheywa) then joined us for lunch.
A few of the more brave members of our group (including the EXTREMELY brave big Lucy) took a dip in the pool which was, of course, EXTREMELY chilly. Unfortunately a few members of our group are now in hospital suffering from hypothermia...NOT!!!!!
Hahaha LOL
After the feeling had returned to our icy limbs the group prepared EVEN more craft materials before having a more sociable evening.
We had prepared chilli con caren, and then took it to the other house as there was a local band there. We spent the first 20 long minutes waiting for the other group and eating. On meeting the other group, we decided they hadn't been worth the wait!!!!!!!!!
We spent the rest of the evening dancing to the Malawian music with Banas and Blessings, learning new moves and playing "like I do, like I do". We can all say that it was scary watching Banas' crazy legs; as his top half was STILL and his legs were w.o.w. Although we do admire his grooving abilities. After dancing away hours (whipping out the dad dancing) and laughing the night away we had to say goodbye to Banas and Blessings and go inside to watch a film.
It was a documentary about a Malawian man who was taught to paraglide by a Canadian whom he had met only three weeks before flying down Mount Mulanje. We then met the man who had achieved his dream before retiring for the night. We all felt that we would have enjoyed the movie far more if it had been earlier on in the day as our action packed agendas leave us wanting nothing but sleep by around 9'o'clock in the evening (it also leaves us with no time to be homesick or miss you, sometimes we even have to remind ourselves what your names are ;)
And so we leave you, tired but happy after a productive and rewarding day.
Lottie and Catherine
Also from The Impalas
Xoxoxox
Dear Anning family, I am well jel of your Nutella pancakes and omelettes! But I am having a wonderful time having cornflakes and Cadbury choc; DON'T enjoy the beach and weather - JOKES! Have loads of fun and I hope you aren't missing me too much and I'm not missing you at all :D Jo, don't you DARE sleep in my bed. Lots of love lot pot xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Jesson family, 1 if you are reading this then you are very naughty because I told you not to! 2 I forgive you and will tell you all about everything when I get home. You don't get the really juicy bits on here ;) I'm thinking about you, promise! I think you'll get a shock when I get home, I'm not quite the same anymore, the hippo didn't like me very much, I have a few less fingers...only joking!!! Hahaha. Love you all lots, Isabel you had better be in your own bed and not mine! And my seat should stay empty in honour of me please, I would like you to make a shrine, candles and everything please! See you later stinky 'oles from stinky girl (aka Treen)
Dear Williams/jones family,
Hiya nan and Lauren (when she gets home) Having a fab time, sad to say I'm not really missing home that much and actually hardly thought about my phone! You will be pleased to here I am still in one piece! I hope my room is looking good! We have done loads and looking forward to the rest of the week and to docs(the bus driver) meal tomorrow! The schools we go to are amazing and such a different experience to England!!!!! Hope everyone is okay back home and say hello to auntie Linda and family for me:) say thanks to Esther for her help in learning language as it has really helped and her toilet advice! Currently sitting in front of the fire in our 'living' room chilling and dong craft things! Hope you are enjoying peace and quiet without me!! Love you lots like jelly tots nan:) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Quiggan family and friends,
Thank you all soooo much for the lovely comments/messages you have sent me. I wasn't feeling very well earlier so it was lovely to hear from you all. To Alain and Christian if you are reading this then I have two things to say to you. Firstly, where are my messages?! Secondly, I am actually starting to miss your techy convocations!
One of my leaders (Lucy) is currently showing us how many different types of moustache you can make out of one pipe cleaner. It is safe to say I may come home being even more crazy than when I left with this kind of influence on me for three weeks! If only you could have seen all our leaders dancing earlier!
To Lizzie I promise I will name any hippos I meet josh and Gladys but I can't promise to marry them unless they agree and they may decide to eat me if they don't like the idea....
Thank you for the catch up on news and say well done to dad and tell Lee to shush his gums. To Auntie Laura, yes we are in a different house to the one on the video but it is very similar and on the site still. The only difference is we share the pool with the other house and it is slightly bigger bedroom wise as we have more people than the other group does.
Loads of love to you all and missing you lots! Prepare yourselves for a big hug when I come back! Cuddles and kisses to you all!!! Xxxxxxxx
Dear Meachin family,
Hope you are all having lovely weather in England, it's pouring with rain here today! I am having an amazing time here and laughing soooo much :)
Ok so you will probably laugh once you've read this all the way through, but well.......I broke my finger on Tuesday. (First person to injure themselves!) I was playing football with some of the kids at the community centre down the road from where we are staying. Anyway I was goalie, the ball came flying towards me and ended up smashing my finger. But I did save the goal which is what counts :) please don't worry I am absolutely fine, all bandaged up and I can't feel a thing. My finger was a lovely blackish purple this morning :D so I guess I will need to go to A&E when I get back haha
Mum and Olivia: have fun in Russia (hope you're packed by now!) liv try not to let mum spend a fortune and remember to leave some Russian dolls behind for the other tourists :)
Dad: hope everything and work is going ok. Sorry to disappoint you but I am absolutely terrible at football! Duff genes again I think ;)
Olivia: good night Sherlock!
Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Mumma, Daddy and Fais Parker!
Mumma, WS prep sounds good and it looks like you are ver organised! I'm looking forward to the sewing/swearing session too and my skirt is amazing and I love it and it fits perfectly! Faith, your comments are amazing and hilarious and I love them and your hair sounds super cool! What colour is it? I have now been in the pool and it was cold and I have seen an impala too! Also, I have found no more notes? Clues please!! Have a great time at WS and make sure you tell everyone in the 5th that I say hi and am thinking of them! Their craft supplies are being very much appreciated!
Cathefrina, the island idea sounds good, I will stay with you plz and the weather with you sounds better than the continual misty rainy weather with us! NEW GIRL OMG was it the Ellie Goulding moment bit? OH THE FEELS I miss your face, but I'm having loads and loads of fun and can't believe we've nearly been here a week now! Also, my face is a little bit sunburnt, even though it's been cloudy... Whoopsie XOXO
Love to everyone, hello CH2J!
xxxxxxxxxx
Dear Hermitage and Mills followers,
I am ok, and enjoying my 'note a day'. Sadly, the Pringles are running low, but I did get hold of some bourbons today at the shop. Loving the comments on the blog, and also that you are feeding Carwyn, I'm sure he is wasting away. Mum, after all the crafts we have done here, I am pretty sure I have a new term planned for rainbows, and at least, without me there, u will be up do date with county work. Lala, tell fin, I have only showered once, and I shared it with a lizard, plus I haven't changed my trousers since I left England. Tell Katy I saw a spider about 3 inches wide today (including legs) and took a very brave photo for her. I have tried texting/emailing, but it normally seems u guys don't get it :(.
All those who donated to see me burnt, I feel u may be disappointed....more likely to me wrinkly and wet. Probably shouldn't have sung 'singing in the rain'...lesson learnt.
Love u all, speak soon. Love Luce xxx
(Ps, happy birthday benny!)
KIRSTY
A big heddo to Mumzi (treacle) Hadgrid and Orphan kid. ah also J-girl if you are reading this. Having a wonderful time in Malawi and missing you all lots. Being kept busy and having a wonderful time at the schools. I've caused mayhem at meal times along with leader lucy breaking out into song at random times and using various utensils to make musical instruments! Hadgrid I've sung a few musicals too!
Will continue to keep you updated, keep following the blog, I must warn you the girls are responsible for the majority of the posts on here and they do get carried away. On the way home from a school the other day I have to ride in the back of a truck which was more of an animal cage! Anyway. Hope all is well, lots of love to everyone I know at home reading this. See you all in a few weeks. Love Kirky xxxx
Hello to the Simons fam
I hope those of you in Scotland are enjoying it, that one in Europe is loving it and that sibling in Thailand is still fully functioning :) the weather here has taken a turn for the worse and we might as well be in England :( but the schools are still fun and the people are still lovely and I'm not sick of them yet!!! I hope you are all having a wonderful time wherever you are and I'm looking forward to seeing you when I get home in a couple of weeks (and hearing Aaron's good ;) news) and fingers crossed I shall have some awesome things for you all :)
Dear Meadows People etc.
glad to hear you guys are having fun on holiday and yes I'm sure he cheated ;)
Hope your ankle feels a little bit better soon Adam so you can play more golf!!
Oh and the hiccups have returned...
Hello ickytoria followers also know as (little) Vicky.
Hahaha, dad you know after the first weekend you said I was being reserved and quiet, well today they have just said they can remember how quiet I was the first weekend and how I didn't say anything XD, where as now they cant shut me up and i m sooooo loud XD they also said I used to hide under my hat XD , I miss him :( can you say hi to Colin for me, I think he's on the end of my bed or on the floordrover.
I would also like to say thank you to everyone who is reading this in Harrietsham, its nice that you are all keeping up to date and following our actions, and can't wait to tell you more about it when I get back!
Thanks again Vicky
Xxxxxxxx
Hi to the Holden family,Monty and any of my other friends that may be bored enough to be reading this!
We are all having a fab time here(as you may have read) although the weather has been atrocious the last couple of days so don't think I will be coming back with much of a tan :( Mont,you will be pleased to know that I have not lost the ring yet! Mum and dad,I hope you are looking after my fiancé and not letting him go hungry (I'm sure you are).
Anyway,better go as I think we will be having a bit of sing song (as usual) before bed.
Love you all lots and miss you.
Xxxx
Hi Rabble, Martyn and anyone else that knows me,
Having a fab time. The weather has been quite wet so it feels like home! The schools have been great, and the kids have really enjoyed themselves, although we have had a few crayon thieves! One boy rolled up his jeans with 6 crayons in. Mum and Dad we nearly had 2 extra members of the family, there were twins at one of the schools and I am pretty sure they would have fitted in the holdalls to come home! Rachel, I think I am in competition with you for bites! I don't have anywhere near as many as you did in Thailand but I have been bitten on my lip! Doc the bus driver (although he insists we call it a truck) is great and has even joined in with our dancing and singing. Banes, Ernest and Blessings, our BookBus guides are amazing and have been a great help with translating. Please make sure there is lots of hot water for a shower when I get home, at the moment Chloe and I am in competition for being the smelliest as we haven't found much time for a shower!
Miss you all,
Helen xxxxxxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very good update - had me laughing which is what I need at the end of a long day in supermarketland (like poundland only posher). One request Abbie...do you think that on the Impalas return Lucy could set up a workshop so I too can learn how many different moustaches you can make out of a pipecleaner? Loving that idea! XX Big ones
ReplyDeleteHi Lucy Lula the genius moustache creator (this is why we love you - remember the whole set we made dad once?!?)
ReplyDeleteLoved reading all the posts tonight after a long hot day here.... Glad you braved the pool as you haven't washed enough ;-) we all had hot-tub baths here tonight as I regrouted the bathroom whilst Alex is at camp!
Gave benny a birthday squeeze from you and ate your piece of cake as it will be very dry if we saved it for your return - it tasted fab. Fin will be glad you found bourbons as we ran out yesterday and it was the end of the world..... Katy will be proud about spiders but will probably just roll her eyes at me as that is seemingly what 9 year olds do!
Love to all those girlies you are corrupting ;-)
From lala and the Margate gang x x x
Hi Kirky and everyone,
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delay trouble with Internet and nugs computer. Sounds like your having an amazing time, how's the bite going? Is everyone fed up with your noise yet Kirsty? Nan is still in hospital but not too bad should hopefully be home soon.
Very quite here without you (no noise).
Love you loads
Mum xx
Hi Rachel,
ReplyDeleteWe are very sorry to learn of your broken finger, but if you are not concerned about it, then we will try not to worry too much. Just please take care and make sure it does not become infected. No doubt it will not prevent you from making the most of this fantastic experience.
It's nearly midnight here (Thursday night), which means Mum has "almost finished" packing for the 6am start tomorrow when she and Olivia leave for Russia. It will be very quiet here on my own!
We really enjoy reading all about your days in Malawi and are thankful for all the time and effort that everyone has spent writing about their experiences. Please write more (all of you) when you can.
Love from Dad x
Hi Lucy M
ReplyDeleteGood to hear everything from everyone - it must have taken you ages to add your bit!!
Interesting to hear about your weather - it seems England is the place to be - it's hotter than here at the moment - we have a pretty regular 25 C, just about right
Thought of you yesterday - visited ancient walled town only to find a billboard pronouning ' Ginja shop' - ginja is the portuguese for cherry and the local speciality was cherry liqueur Ginja waseverywhere - we just needed the Ninja!! Oh for a felt pen !,
I know you don't like beaches but we found a brilliant secluded one yesterday - the best, cleanest sand ever!! I am well down with the sand people ( probably cos I grew up by the sea) The area is well known for surfers - what's that all about? Pose for ages, walk to the sea, float about for ages the stand up and fall off. I can do that!! As ever collected a few more shells for the loo collection - that can be your inheritance as the price of golf here will take the rest. Suits me though!!!!
Sobering thought though that the lifestyle we ie you, everyone with you has is light years from what you are now privileged to witness - these are some of the best moments you will ever have and I am really proud of how you have achieved it and got to this point - we also all know how much it will mean to you and how you will appreciate these times - now go and have a shower!!
How's my music - do you know you have my whole life in that little box thing!!! Enjoy !
Speak to you later - going now to see if I can give Adam a thrashing on a different golf course Today's course is in a newly built resort are - the clubhouse looks like and has all the appeal of a nuclear fall out bunker!,
Take care little one
Love you loads
Us xxxxxx
Morning Impalas and hello Frankie,
ReplyDeleteIt's a sunny 32 degrees here in Germany, day 3 of mum's short break and yesterday she managed to get herself onto a river boat for a short cruise down the Rhine! Warm and sunny weather so sounds better than you're having! It sounds like the teaching is going well, good to see the IT skills coming in handy.
We're here until tomorrow night, home all day Sunday and then off to Edinburgh on Monday. Aaron is now in Prague, I told him to go see all the places you visited. Sarah is now back in Bangkok, a bit sunburned I think!
Have another lovely day, look forward to seeing more blog tomorrow.
Love Dad x
Dear Ellie and the Impalas,
ReplyDeleteJust to make you feel better about your weather, it is 8.25am here and it is nearly dark, or that eerie,yellow half light that precedes a thunderstorm, rumble, rumble. We've already had a couple of downpours this morning already, just in time for tent pitching at WS this lunchtime!
This comes the morning after the hottest day of the year here in West Sussex, 33 degrees with a hot breeze blowing all day. I've looked at your long term weather report (Crash! Flash of lightening) and it seems to be getting better for you. Good job we bought that new waterproof eh!! Typical that the rain arrives here in time for Guide camp though.
Notes/Little cards? Inside the Dawn French book. In the black passport wallet. In the mesh, top inside pocket of the rucksack in between what you had in there when you left. Not really clues but specific instructions.
It was great to hear your stories of the last two days. Hopefully the truck is fixed and reliable for your trip out at the weekend. It does all sound exhausting but extremely rewarding and great fun. I think I'll have to start saving to go on a Book Bus adventure.
Dad says Hi, sends love and yes he has been biking. He has planned a 100 miler for Saturday, inland and down to Chichester and then back along the coast and home. He is having a night out with Ju for Suzie's 40th on Saturday night too and taking Ju and Aida walking on Sunday. Don't hold your breath for a comment on the blog but he is following your antics.
Time to go now. Faith is off to the Rhu to have her hair professionally dip dyed, I'm a sucker of a Mother for agreeing to it but she'll have it cut off before school starts back.
Everyone is asking how you are doing that we see. I'm not sure how much time/access I'll have to a computer on camp but will try to keep up with you. Always know I'm thinking about you though xxx
Much love,
Mum xxx
Bonjour Ellie and The Impalas,
ReplyDeleteI hear the weather isn't great in Malawi. Here though, is a different story. 30 degrees yesterday and it's pretty hot and sunny now. Thunder this morning! Anyway, weather bores me- here's another matter.
Yep, as you have heard from Mum, I had my hair dip dyed at The Rhu today, fire red, although it looks more of a pinky red now. It is really AWESOME DUDE ( even if I say so myself ). Hopefully, I will be able to get it blue and white striped for when I come back from WS.* wink wink *
Talking of football, PURRLEASE knock some sense into your Malawi kids. Man U? Are you kidding me? We all know that BROMWICH ALBION are the best team.
So... WS!!!! yayyyyyyy! I am really excited. Went to set up Mums activity zone and camp today. Her tent is basically right next to where they are doing their activities, which is probably a good thing for her. It wasn't that busy, but we went and had a nosy around the site. Where our pack will be pitched is right next to the toilets, therefore we should have a better chance of getting a shower! Camelot looks cool, we went and nosed at the Merchandise stall. They had some really funky badges... Debbie got very ( I mean VERY ) excited about it all. When I walk around camp, I shall be F I R E girl. BOOM.
Anyway, need to go. Missing you a lottle. K, bye. Glad to hear I make you laugh. Love Fais. xoxoxoxox
Dear Treen
ReplyDeleteIzzy hasn't wanted to sleep in your bed, even though I changed your dirty sheets just in case! Your chair is vacant and we light the candles to your shrine at 8 every evening without fail. Helen's comment about minimal showering worries me; make sure you shower frequently, you know how quickly you start to stink.
Bought you a 'going to college' pressie in Lewes today (despite the fact that you are completely out of my mind), so you'd better make sure you bring a present back for me too! Izzy wants me to remind you that she'd like to sample some Malawian sweets, also that she is going to buy her hamster tomorrow.
Weather here is toasty again (30 degrees + yesterday) so we can have a brownest contest when you come home. I will wear shades to protect my eyes from the dazzle of your pale skin. :)
Sending you a big big hug.
Mam
Hi Laura
ReplyDeletehope you are enjoying yourself. I am nights at the moment. We are missing you and your funny ways.
Talking about getting all that fresh air and experiencing new things u have ticked a lot of boxes lol
Please do not resist the temptation to blog your stories. love mum
A howler here for MISS EJLD!! Where are messsages and sarcastic comments along with funny stories etc... It is far too quiet and we are need of livening up here in a very hot and sunny England.
ReplyDeleteBilly and Georgia waved to you on the plane last friday as it went over their house!!! Billy now think every plane has you on it!!!! Auntie Claire, Nanny, Grandad and all those at Grace Fellowship have been following your adventures and are all really pleased you've had this wonderful opportunity.
You will be pleased to know that at the time of writing this your room is lovely neat and tidy!!! However...Jessica arrives back from Carroty Wood today soooooo......!!!!!!
I have now finished Uni for the summer after handing my assignment in yesterday (2/8/13).
Dad and Liam are fine and will see you on 19th. Keep singing Bob Marley but forget Olly too
Lots of love The Davey Crew x x x
Dear Chante
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing? Have not heard from you for a few days. We are missing the blogs - more blogs please!! Have you done any of your excellent cooking yet we are missing it back here. Everyone has been asking how you are doing and sends their love. One week has gone already so make the most of the next two weeks as it will soon be a distance memory. Anyway, look after yourself. See you soon.
Lots of love mum xx
Hi Vicki H
ReplyDeleteJustto let you know Tor you had not been forgotten but "dumb & dumber " aka me, has posted you a message but it was sent by me to wrong blog from you all so go back to listed previous comments and you will find it and you will see how well we are looking after Monty etc etc....So go back to previous comments and you will see it, hopefully.
Glad you having good time and hope weather has improved for you (its lovely here)lol.
Cannot believe you have been gone over a week already.
Take care Tor
Love you lots
Dad
xxxx