Pages

Friday, 16 August 2013

Fun and games on the island

Thursday 15th August

For the very, very first time during our stay in the warm heart of Africa, our beloved Malawi,we were allowed a lie in! I mean like a real relaxed get up when you want lie in! Unfortunately the group of local fisherman having a party into the early hours of the morning on a beach close to ours had other ideas.

After interruptions of shouting, music projected from a boom box and the splashing of feet in the water we got a little sleep; although I must admit I slept through most of the raucous only being woken by whispered moans of people in my own room (four in a bed probably wasn't the best idea).

However our internal body clock has been drastically altered and we found ourselves congregated in the breakfast area dressed and ready to set off for a hike to the top of the island by 9:30 in the morning. Lucky you parents, not only do you have truly wonderful and talented children but they have also developed the ability to rise early, potentially providing breakfast in bed for those at home upon their return...potentially...

We were told that the walk would take a meagre hour up, gentle slopes, rolling gradients and breathtaking views. Whilst I can confirm that the views were breathtaking I am afraid to say that we had been lied to, the slopes were not gentle they were vertical and the gradient was the steepest I have ever ascended. Not only was the climb long and treacherous but it also included sliding patches of leaf, rocks and a well placed smattering of roots which resulted in trips and stumbles galore.

Upon reaching the summit, 350m above 'lake level' we were met by a beautiful view of the lake and the campsite on the 'mainland' which we had stayed in on Tuesday night. From our vantage point we could see the tiny kayaks which had carried us to the island and the little specks of those who had not come with us, all in all it was well worth the effort.

The descent was yet to come...

Climbing up vertical rock faces was one thing but scrambling down was another. The techniques varied from the 'bum shuffle' which was masted by the great scrambler Frankie, stepping sideways down the hill at snail pace (a method preferred by others) and launching oneself at various trees and hoping, in that split second of free fall that you would catch it and not plummet to your death. Needless to say there is now a grave on Domwe Island inhabited by our dearly loved but unmistakably clumsy little Vicky.

The afternoon was spent sunbathing, kayaking in the lake and playing team games. At one point an individual from each of our three teams was sent to locate a thong, the island attendants struggled to comprehend our game as three girls ran down a hill holding a pair of Kirsty's frilly knickers each, finally flinging them towards big Lucy and whooping at their success! Once again the ingenuity of girl guide's games has out done itself.

After a filling dinner of pasta (again) we settled down to an evening of laughter and singing, fortunately we were too isolated for the RSPCA to be called regarding the group of cats who were being strangled and so our renditions commenced without interference.

We retired to bed happy and tired again and as the trip draws to a close, even though we love each other dearly, (well tolerate each other commendably) we are happy to know that on Monday morning we will see you all because we do love you really, promise.

Lots of love your ever faithful Impalas xxx
(Catherine)

P.s little Vicky was later resurrected using an ancient Malawian ritual (more commonly known as polo mints) and walks amongst us once more.
P.p.s Mum, the hill I climbed today was quite honestly even steeper than the one in Lewes! Be proud!!

1 comment:

  1. Catherine, there is no way your ascent compared with the climb I made in Lewes!

    And why am I not surprised that you were one of the only 2 girls to get wet!! (I hope none of those diddly fish were in the water). :0

    I love you lots and am looking forward to giving you a big hug. It hasn't been the same without you. I've decided you can only apply to Brighton Uni and no further!!!!!

    Mam xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete