Pages

Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Our First Book Bus Day!

*Sorry for not posting yesterday! It got a bit too late to walk up the hill where the wifi is to post it!*

Just to clarify, as many people seem concerned, we have not yet been in the pool as it is outside another house, you have to walk up a hill to get there and we haven't had time yet!!

Hello! It's been a long day today...!

Two of us were up at 5:30 so we could shower and everyone else emerged at 6am and we had to get dressed and eat breakfast super quickly so that we were ready to leave at 7:15! The school today was much closer than we anticipated and the views from the bus on the way down the mountain were incredible! 

We arrived early, but started straight away with the children that were already there. They were all smiling and seemed happy to see us! We put out the mats and split the children up into younger and older groups and then started the teaching. We read through  'Giraffe's Can't Dance' first with the older children and then allowed them to look through and read it out loud to us. Next we went through the worksheets with them and completed the craft activity- making beautiful butterflies! Once they'd finished that, we had a massive sing song and gaming session in a circle. They were all so enthusiastic and, consequently, we spent the rest of the morning singing more than doing anything else! Just before we left, we caused mayhem by whipping out our cameras! Every child wanted their photo taken and especially to see the photo afterwards so it all turned to chaos mostly...! 

We then boarded the bus and set off, with all the children still waving and smiling at us. They even ran to the road to wave as we drove past again! 

It was an incredible first day, as we were so unsure as of what to expect and how the children would behave when we were teaching them. We are all so excited now about the next two weeks ahead and it is just so humbling to know that our actions here in Malawi will make so many children laugh and smile!

When we got back to the house, we ate some massive rolls for lunch and washed up really quickly so we could go into Blantyre again. On the journey into Blantyre, it was very hard not to nod off, but the bumpy roads made sure we were jolted awake every few minutes! We went into the main shopping street first and visited a fabric shops to pick out our material for some African clothes. It took a while, but we managed to pick out some material and it is all very colourful and beautiful. We then went to Shoprite (the local shop) quickly so the leaders could buy some more water and snacks to take to the schools for the rest of the week (our food shopping cost much less than the money given to us for food and so we can use it to feed the children in the schools!) and then we stopped off at a tailors on the way home to put in our orders for skirts. They measured us and we described the sort of thing we wanted! 

Now we are home and are organising a shower rota as we don't have too much water. We are also, more importantly, busy sorting out the crafts for tomorrow and ensuring we have enough worksheets and craft templates. 

We're having a typically British dinner of sausage and mash and then I'm sure we will try and go to bed as soon as possible after that! Much tiredness! 

Now we'd thought that I'd (hi, it's Ellie here) stop writing for a bit and let you all hear personally from all the other girls in the group too!

FRANKIE

I'm glad today went well as I rarely have contact with young children and haven't sung some of the songs for quite a few years!! 
(To mum: I pretty much don't have hay fever but I still take the pill every morning.)

LAURA

Easier at school than I expected however from going to three groups of four to at least 20 was amazing how it suddenly dawned on me. Then the gratefulness of the children- I finally realised that they don't see any problem with the conditions they live in so we shouldn't feel sorry for them like some Africa help ads but they are happy.  

RACHEL

I thought that kids here would be a lot quieter and unhappier here than at home, but actually they are exactly the same. They are cheeky, loud and interested in everything. My favourite moment was when they sang loads of their songs to us. I also loved seeing them smiling and laughing! 

ELEANA

Working with children was a real reality slap. Rachel and I went from having 3 kids to around 70 in half an hour! I was amazed at how easily entertained they were, I spent about an hour at the head of a massive circle leading head, shoulders, knees and toes and simple hand actions to around 80 kids. Even my 1 -2 year olds understood counting games and the hokey kokey. It was draining keeping the books the centre of attention but it was 100% worth it!!!

LUCY (Leader!)

Working with the children today was lovely, and their English was pretty good. I really enjoyed teaching them songs and was proud of their rendition of 'heads, shoulders, knees and toes' after being taught. I think I may need to wash my feet (Lala, I have tiger stripes like jelly shoes!) but it's not my rota day, or maybe it is, I don't know. My highlight was doing the bear hunt with a massive circle - 50 children 'swirling in the wind' was quite a sight. Photos aplenty :) love to everyone I know :) xxx

KIRSTY 

Had a fantabulous Day at school today singing songs and making lots of messy crafts. Was very strange to see how different the schools here where and the children's ability. Nevertheless an amazing day! Bring on day two at school. Lots of love to everyone at home! Xxx

LOTTIE

Heya all. I'm having a great time. The kids were very good today such and amazing experience. They loved a song me and Ellie made up. Love the note, Mum about Ian and Dad and even listened to the song and did the dance! :P More notes to come YAY! Love to all xxxxxxxxx

CATHERINE

Hello everybody! Can I please just ask my family to not read the blog subsequent to this comment as Ellie's thoroughness is doing a Dad and leaving me nothing to tell you when I get home (I'm sure you'll enjoy my tales far more in person). But anyway, I'm having an amazing time and am enjoying myself tonnes ( although I am a little disappointed in you as other girls got love notes, I feel unwanted!) school was amazing today and I can definitely say that the three weeks ahead of me look bright and I anticipate them eagerly. Love you all lots (I listened to 'Hey Julie' for you mum and thought of you!) I'd say I'm missing you but I'd be lying (not really I miss you lots!) Tra for now xxxx oh and  Izzy I haven't been eaten yet! :o

CHANTE 

I just wanna shout to all my fans back at home, lol I joke. Hey everyone, how you all doing? I'm great here in the mother country of Africa, having an experience of a life time; teaching, playing, laughing and joking. Yesterday I had a day full of rest and sleep and today I was equip for the challenges that faced me. It was wonderful seeing the children smiles and eagerness to learn. Making snakes and singing songs was my main highlight, just seeing them happy and full of joy made me warm inside. I was delighted to be chosen to donate books to the school we was at today. The head teacher  was ever so grateful and the children seemed to want them straight away with "give me a book!" Oh yeah I forget to say I was sick this morning after taking my malaria tablet, whoops! But other than that having a fabulous time, missing you all loads. Give Shay and Cyrus a kiss for me. Taraa! xo

ABBIE

heya! Having a great time and can safely say that all the hard work that was put into getting me out here by all my loved ones was sooooo worth it! Prepare to receive a changed Abbie after the course of this trip! 
Thank you very much to those close to me who wrote comments on this blog. I had a bit of a down moment earlier when we had to leave our first school this morning but when I thought back to your comments they really cheered me up. Would love to receive more comments and hear any of your news as well as you hearing ours! Oh! Purely for Lizzie's benefit I have not yet sat on any Hippos. Yet! 
Wishing you were all here to share this amazing experience with me. You will all be getting big hugs and kisses when I get back but I warn those of you who will be (if you still want me) picking me up from the airport I probably won't be smelling the best... Our shower situation combined with the amount of dust we get in our clothes and hair when we go out means a slightly smelly Abbie! 
Loads of love, kisses and cuddles to you all! Looking forward to speaking to you again soon! Toodles! :P xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(Little) VICKY 

Don't really know what to say, Ellie has said it all really! Just really enjoying myself, having great fun and can't wait for tomorrow and do it all again. Would say to mum and dad that I m missing you but your probably not reading this anyway, and to be honest haven't thought about it, I m sure your not missing me anyway.oh and mum does it have to be death by hippo or can I find some other interesting way to die? Maybe swallowed whole by a snake? Or fall off the edge of cliff while taking an outside shower? And no Harry we have not seen a pygmy giraffe ;) Anyway probably said enough now so bye bye xxx

(Little) LUCY

Hi Guys! Having lots of fun and would say I miss you but you know I don't so... Also feeling a tad unloved without any notes (sobs dramatically) but I'm sure you'll be able to make it up to me when I get back (within time time I'm back at least!) 
Hope Portugal is fun, lots of golf and sunbathing, reading etc. but I bet there's no outdoor shower with a view!!!  Please say you haven't been in my room yet Dad, it will be done when I'm back!!!!!!!!
Looking forwards to the next couple of weeks and really enjoying everyone's comments on here- keep them coming please! 
Sending hugs xxx

ELLIE

Hello! I hope you have been enjoying my blog posts everyone! I loved your comments Mumma, Daddy and Faith and Cathefrina so plz comment because I'm currently managing to read them and they make me happy and smiley instead of making me cry because I miss you. I am having so much fun, it's SO GOOD here and the mountains are beautiful, the views are stunning and everyone is really friendly. Mum and Faith, please don't expect clothing presents, because it's been measured to fit, but I've bought some material to bring home instead yay! So we can sew clothes together Mumma...? ;) Frinkley, Jonathan and Ruth I hope you are still enjoying your holiday and the weather is lovely?! Mumma, I hope WS planning is going well, Daddy I hope work is bearable and you have been on some nice bicycle rides and Buba, I hope you are having loads of fun HOLIDAYING woo! I love you and miss you all, but I'm doing the everyday blogging so it's still me talking! Xxxxxxxx
P.S I've introduced boob tension to the holiday Cathefrina XOXO

Others will be writing comments another day!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy Lula (leader) & all of your new buddies

    So amazing to hear your enthusiastic stories from your first book bus day - we've looked at photos on the book bus website so we can really start to visualise what is must begin to feel like :-)

    Fin is very amused by the idea of your tiger-ry feet but doesn't quite understand why you don't have to shower and he does!

    Good to hear you've got your skirt orders in already - you might need an extra set of clothes x

    Carwyn has been in the workshop and to wickes with pops today - I fed him a donut and noticed he still has 10 fingers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Luce!
      Sounds like your having fun there! It sounds like an awesome adventure look forward to the pics.
      Love ya loads
      Carwyn
      Xxxx

      Ps
      Got dinner for tomorrow to re heat off your mum!

      Delete
  2. Bonjour Impalas,

    I hope you are keeping well and not getting too homesick! Sounds like you are having lots of fun with the children.

    Ellie, I am having lots of fun ( especially without you being here- only joking ;) ). Have you found the other secret notes yet?

    Mum gets very excited when you post a new blog-you know what she is like. I also like reading them. Jenna's hair has been dip died red by Helen, when I saw this, I asked Mum if she could dip die mine. She agreed and we bought some from Brighton, however we did not put enough in my hair and you could not see it! We are going to try again :). I am very excited about WS and can't wait, I just want to go now.

    Anyway, keep posting please! Great hearing about you Impalas! Lots of love Faith in person. Faith xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi (little?) Lucy
    We knew you might quite enjoy yourself !!! I haven't touched your room - how did you expect me to get in there?

    Played first game of golf today - fabulous course Mum even came round the whole way and was very helpful in finding Adam's golfballs whenhe hit them all over the place
    Actually he played well and beat me by clearly cheating as I was better looking and played the better golf
    Unfortunately he twisted his ankle at th start so he is now in some agony - that will teach him
    Take care gorgeous
    Loads of love
    All of us xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine
    we hope you're having a good time and all of the other girls are too.
    we're all missing you lots!
    watch out for the hippos!
    remember to take loads of pictures!
    also remember to write your journal.
    make sure you have great time
    lots of love from all of us.
    Izzy xxxxx and a great big hug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Ellie Welly, today we went up a hill and it was very tiring but there were great views once we got to the top! I've decided that I want to own an island and a kayak and I'll name it the Black Pearl because why not?! The weather has been overall vair vair naice, with only a few bits of rain; yesterday we went canoeing and got a bit wet, but we dried off soon enough :) I am so very jealous of your made-to-measure african clothing, uhhhhhh, (although you shoulda got harem pants!!) and actually I am very jealous of your being in Africa to be quite frank because I just finished reading a book called The Poisonwood Bible and it was set in the Congo and although it was so tragic it made me want to curl up in my bed for a week, it was SO GOOD (like Sophia Grace) and now I just kinda wanna be there, ya know? It sounds like huge amounts of fun :) oh my days BOOB TENSION, so happy that it has infiltrated deepest darkest Africa :') Are you still the main victim?! Also I am SO PUMPED for New Girl tonight, and I shall be watching it avec my mamosa! Could be interesting if it's THE ONE...I may cry/scream/die right there and then. You want me to tell you what happens on here?! Nah, joking, I wouldn't do that to you :* I got sunburnt again today. Fab. U. Lous. Love it. Okay rightyho, nothing more to say really. I hope you're having a wonderful time and don't miss me too much just yet because we're only a few days in! Lotsa love to all of you, from Catherinaaaaaa <3 <3 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ellie and the Impalas,

    Thanks for the detailed updates, I can hear the enthusiasm in all the descriptions. Hopefully today went off in a similar vein. Such fun!

    WS 2013 prep is ticking along: I'm still collating and writing the spices challenge (yawn!), have made loads of bead critters (because that's fun), Faith and I have made swops for the International Guide/Scout campers as you have all the badges (Union coasters, earrings, badges and the recycled exclusive Burgess Hill pencils of course), and we found the ground sheets....in the loft!!

    Tomorrow we pop to Lily's to borrow one of her outfits to use in Faith's Mongolian outfit for Xanadu sub camp. Friday lunchtime we'll go to Ardingly showground to take up all our kit and craft stuff plus pitch our tents. The weather forecast looks ok for the start of the week at least.

    Ellie, I've done my sewing for the year with the camp blankets this morning (not too much swearing ensued), however I'm sure we'll sort something out with the material!!! Thank you very much, mwah x.

    I posted an airport shot onto the Book Bus facebook page if anyone wants to take a look. Are you able to post any photos onto the blog Ellie?

    Keep living the dream, mush love from Mum xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from the Anning family. With our excellent IT Support Desk (aka Lottie) away for 3 weeks, we have failed in our attempts to open a Google account to post a comment or two, so we're sending this via the Meadows.

    Lottie, we're enjoying Agadir, Morocco, with plenty of sunshine, soft sand and waves galore. Hotel is excellent, with Nutella pancakes and/or fresh omelettes in the morning. Very odd without you, but we're coping.

    Waitrose has reported a shock decline in the sale of Dairy Milk chocolate since your departure.

    Love to Lottie and best wishes to all from the Annings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ELEANOR PARKER - quick New Girl update. IT HAPPENED. AND IT WAS AMAZING. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Impalas!
    Lovely to hear about your first Book Bus day and all your individual comments. You are all doing a wonderful, worthwhile thing and we are SO PROUD of every single one of you (not just Abbie!).
    Dad has had a very good Screaming Les rehearsal this evening, whilst Lizzie and I had a Neighbours catchup session whilst snuggled on the mattress which is now in the sitting room as we have completely emptied the bedroom as work starts on it tomorrow, yay! Plans for Brownie Holiday are coming together and Lizzie has made a fantastic Winnie the Pooh Six Chart.
    Loads of love and hugs from everyone. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you're all having fun.. Glad to read that you've been getting up early! No more lay-ins ��

    Hope that you all continue to have fun working with the children and the book bus and don't get too attached to the country and not want to come home (although we aren't complaining if you stay Chloe) Sounds like you have lots more fun to come in the next few weeks!

    Oh and Chloe, nan had a lot of pain in her (non-existent) toes last night so be expecting a storm soon!! I just said to her "errr sorry" and she gave me that look! Hope you're missing me as much as I'm missing you! Love you Chlo!!

    Lauren Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog all - made up for not getting one yesterday. Message for Abbie to say that nan is fine and much, much better. Nearly finished her tablets and they've worked. Fred is up to mischief and is having a day of investigating everything! Raining here. In fact....teeming down. Glad to know you are enjoying yourselves if not a little exhausted. Hopefully you will all be able to shower in your last week before you come home!!!
    Was surprised to learn that the pool is in a house up the road. Boo! Does that mean the pictures of the stunning house we saw is not where you are staying? Auntie Laura X

    ReplyDelete
  13. ABBIEEEEEEYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!

    Hello there.

    Glad you haven't sat on any hippos. Have you met some yet? If you have, pat one on the head and call it Josh. Do the same to another and call it Gladys. Then marry them, as you are secret priest (do not tell me otherwise). I'm sure they would like you. Bring Josh home for me as a souvenir. May as well bring Gladys too so then he won't get lonely and deprived of his married privileges.

    Don't feel down!! You are in Malawi!!

    Is it hot? It's raining here :( well it was yesterday, not so much today. Mum and I went to see Monsters University with Grandma yesterday, and you HAVE to see it when you come back! We also went to Staples on the way back because Mum needed to get some parcel tape and laminating sheets or whatever you call them. I told Mum I wasn't going to come in because you know me in stationary shops... In the end I went in and bought two sketchbooks (one smaller one for holiday and a bigger one for home) and Grandma was a naughty person and got me three special art pencils!! I did tell them I would end up hyperventilating over something. I was. I didn't know which sketchbooks to buy and in the end I bought two, as you already know.

    I think I will probably come and meet you in the airport, and I will be the first one to hug you as I will be running at you screaming. Just to warn you.

    Lee (the carpenter dude who does the floors and stuff) is making a lot of noise. He keeps banging the walls and stuff. It's very irritating. I'm not happy. It is disrupting me from my thoughts. Not good.

    He really can't sing either.

    So I hope you're having a good time so far [SHUT UP LEE] and yeah. [SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE LEE YOU'VE DISRUPTED MY THOUGHTS].

    Ooh he's stopped banging.

    See you [Let the banging commence once again *sigh* -_- <- unamused face]soon!

    Love you!

    Miss you!

    Byesie bye!

    Lizzie, your beloved amazingly awesome sister ;) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Impalas,

    It just sounds amazing and brilliant out there! You are having a wonderful time and it sounds the kids are having a brilliant time with you.

    Frankie I'm happy to hear to hear your Hay Fever isn't too bad! I'm in Dusseldorf now, staying in Dad's hotel, about to go meet him for lunch. Aaron is in Berlin and last night they tried to find the Pizza restaurant we went to for giant pizzas!

    Have a great time, can't wait to see the African skirts!!!

    Love you loads xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frankie & friends,
      What you're all doing sounds amazing! I'm really enjoying reading all your comments & descriptions of your adventure. The idea of getting material & having skirts made is great. Frankie, keep taking the photos!
      Lots of love, Pam (Frankie's aunt)

      Delete
  15. Hi all, the whole of Harrietsham is following the blog. Family all send their best and Mum has relented regarding the hippo! Killer African Bees would be fine!

    Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lucy H and Girls
    So glad to hear the first day with the children was so awesome!! They are just amazing kids and will appreciate even the smallest things you do with them. These are brilliant memories, so store them up!
    All well here - I'm trying to catch up on County paperwork - this is your fault Lucy as you are not here to distract me with tea and shopping. We have fed Carwyn and made sure he is ok - he's even got a homemade takeaway.
    Glad to hear you have now showered...
    love mum and pops

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Chloe still having trouble with getting a message to you.I guess you thought I had forgotten you. Sorry no go. Well it sound fantasic. I am really looking forward to seeing photos. You in a skirt!!!What next. So you dont feel to bad you should see the mess in your room. It just makes me think you are still here. Well just contuie to enjoy everything and have a fantasic time. Lots of Love Nan ( nanny no toes).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Chante hope you are feeling much better now. I was really happy to hear from you personally and your time spent with the children at school. Everyone sends their love and cannot wait for you to return. How are you coping with the early mornings? Its almost a week you have been there - where as the time gone!! If you get a chance buy extra material to make a top when you return back home. Anyway, take care and enjoy.

    Love Mum and family xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rachel and all the other Impalas! We love reading this, and it's great to have the comments directly from the girls. It sounds like you're all going to have the most wonderful time, and that the kids over there are really going to enjoy having you. Please keep the updates coming - we keep checking to see if there's anything new. We hope you all keep on enjoying it all, stay well and safe. Love Dave, Liz and Olivia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Vicky (Morris), Joanna here. It's very interesting to read this blog about your adventures, sounds like you're having a great time, wish I was there with you :( missing our conversations. You're making my summer holiday sound like permanent silent study with Mrs Hunt hahaha! Keep the news comming, love from Joanna P.S. I agree, the killer bees thing sounds like a cool way to die

    ReplyDelete